Maine media under attack!

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Fri Jan 9 17:02:54 EST 2004

<To: "Boston Radio" <boston-radio->interest@bostonradio.org>
>A group opposed to proposed Medicaid cuts in Maine has proposed that the
>budget cap be filled by eliminating the sales tx emption for business
>advertising so that Maine's 5% sales tax would be imposed on all business
>advertising.  The estimate is that this will bring in $31 million per year.
>
>How much chance is that their proposal will be adopted?  No chance.  I'm not
>sure who came up with this idea but targeting the media for a tax hike is
>bad strategy.  They will never let it happen.  The Blethen newspapers loves
>to talk about eliminating sales tax exemptions but they never go to Augusta
>to suggest imposing a sales tax on newspapers or advertising.
>
>-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

I believe a proposal of this type was actually implemented
many years ago in Florider, but was eventually repealed
because so many media outlets there could cite sizable reductions
in revenue.  I think it also cut in to the State's convention
revenue.  Persons opposed to the Maine proposal will
probably be able to point to the negative experience in
Butterfly-ballot-land and squelch it.

Laurence Glavin