What Was That Song?

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Tue Jan 6 22:18:17 EST 2004

rogerkirk wrote:

>I wish they could distinguish special [re]mixes (i.e. not on the artist's
>CD and not available for the listener to buy) and state so.  Total legal
>unavailability of the "Good Version" of a song still drives people to
>download illegally.  And IMHO, I can't fault them.  If the listeners can't
>buy it, then the record company (and artist) can't claim lost sales.

Of course, this goes back many years to the mid-late 60s even when radio
stations started playing promo-only versions of songs that were unavailable
to the public.  I remember being disappointed as a teenager when I'd buy
the 45 of a song only to find that it was different than the version being
played on the radio.  At least buying the single was an option back then.