What Was That Song?

rogerkirk rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net
Tue Jan 6 21:47:57 EST 2004

Eric Aiese wrote:
>Yes.net gets its data from Nielsen's Broadcast Data Systems, which
>monitors stations 24/7 for Billboard's charts.  Their computer
>listening technology compares each spin against an audio fingerprint
>in their database.

I wish they could distinguish special [re]mixes (i.e. not on the artist's CD and not available for the listener to buy) and state so.  Total legal unavailability of the "Good Version" of a song still drives people to download illegally.  And IMHO, I can't fault them.  If the listeners can't buy it, then the record company (and artist) can't claim lost sales.