What Was That Song?

Eric Aiese aiese@post.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 6 21:30:59 EST 2004

Yes.net gets its data from Nielsen's Broadcast Data Systems, which monitors
stations 24/7 for Billboard's charts.  Their computer listening technology
compares each spin against an audio fingerprint in their database.  BDS
accepts labels' submissions for new music/clips, so I imagine some indie
labels never get around to submitting their new music, and likewise for the
majors with their catalog material.

Until recently, you'd see a lot of holes in the listings where old cuts or
new/underground cuts might not register.  These days, looking at the
listings for Oldies 103.3, they've gotten the standard oldie library
down.  But for other stations -- say WBOT -- there are still a lot of holes
over the course of an hour.  I guess that it's a combination of
underground/new music, gold, and remixes.  Same deal with Magic 106.7,
except it's probably older AC cuts that don't have to rely on BDS.  Did
anyone notice which Magic songs show up and which are skipped?

Also, incidentally, does anyone know how the computers deal with stations
that pitch up their music?

EA