Clear Channel to enhance radio ads with RDS

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Fri Jan 2 09:48:54 EST 2004

struff's stuff wrote:

>I think this is a rotten idea! They should first get their RDS working
>correctly and then MAYBE start with this other junk, as long as it doesn't
>automatically scroll across my screen. I don't like anything scrolling by
>itself because it IS distracting. I can barely listen to NH's WHEB or
>Rock-101 because the constantly alternating screens of "......WGIR" and
>".WGGIRR" and ".......buzz" catch my eye just enough make me look at what
>the latest stupid spelling mistakes are.

If I'm not mistaken, the Feds have required auto makers to only display the
8-character "station ID" field on RDS radios.  There is usually a button
you can press to scroll the "info" field -once- and then returns to the ID
field.  I think this took effect with 2003 model year.  Don't know if
aftermarket manufacturers are subject to this same ruling.