Clear Channel to enhance radio ads with RDS

struff's stuff stuff@struff.com
Thu Jan 1 23:26:47 EST 2004

10:09 AM 1/1/2004:
>The New York Times has a story about Clear Channel, Infinity and other radio
>station owners looking into using RDS to add a text message to radio ads in
>order to increase impact and give the medium a bigger share of the advertising
>pie. An ad campaign starting in January for a small bank in North Carolina
>is to
>use this technology.  Naderites are up in arms, saying motorists will be dying
>in car crashes en masse as they dial their cellphones to switch banks.  Radio
>gets results!

I think this is a rotten idea! They should first get their RDS working
correctly and then MAYBE start with this other junk, as long as it doesn't
automatically scroll across my screen. I don't like anything scrolling by
itself because it IS distracting. I can barely listen to NH's WHEB or
Rock-101 because the constantly alternating screens of "......WGIR" and
".WGGIRR" and ".......buzz" catch my eye just enough make me look at what
the latest stupid spelling mistakes are.