Bubba dumped by Clear Channel

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Fri Feb 27 06:45:51 EST 2004

  Howard Glazer wrote:
>Can't speak for Sirius, but I was listening to XM's "90s on 9" channel
>for about half an hour tonight and it was phone call after angry phone
>call, all blasting the FCC rather than Clear Channel, and requesting
>"shove it"-type songs like 2 Live Crew's "Banned In the USA" and Garth
>Brooks' live version (with "kiss my ass") of "Friends in Low Places,"
>both of which were played. The DJ, a guy who goes by the air name of
>Kane, was encouraging the invective and even hinted that the programming
>bosses at XM were very interested in signing Bubba for an uncensored
>satellite show.

Now THERE's an accurate indicator of public opinion!!  I read somewhere
long ago that at most 4 or 5% of your audience will EVER call a radio
station, XM has what, maybe 1.25 million subscribers, with what percentage
listening to that one particular channel?  We're getting into a pretty
small percentage of the public, and not a terribly representative one at
that.

I thought that XM was voicetracked anyway.  How do you know these "calls"
were even legit?  For all you know they could be plants.

>I would think Sirius would have a better chance of landing him, though,
>should he find himself blacklisted by broadcast radio. XM is quite
>frugal, while Sirius, as shown by its recent deal with the NFL, is not
>afraid to spend money it doesn't yet have on big-ticket programming.

Bubba is small potatoes, I think his show only aired on a handful of
stations, most if not all of them in Florida.  While one of the satellite
services may go to an all shock-talk channel as a desperation move I
wouldn't hold my breath.  It's been a year and a half since Dopey and
Anthony got canned at WNEW and they're still unemployed.