GIN, GIP, etc

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Feb 19 22:48:43 EST 2004

At 07:55 PM 2/19/2004 -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
><<On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:30:59 -0500 (GMT-05:00), hopfgapr@sprynet.com said:
>
> > Can someone else apply for that freq at some point if 930 chooses
> > not to exercise its option?  -Paul Hopfgarten
>
>I don't know that there's any precedent.  It would require a "major
>change window", which has either happened or been announced recently,
>I forget which.  I don't know if the law specifies an expiration date
>for the original reservations or not.  It ought to be possible, given
>some of the other ex-band precedents, to apply for a new ex-band
>station on any non-interfering frequency in that location -- if there
>were actually anyone interested in a new AM station at the high end of
>the dial in a region with awful ground conductivity and strong NIMBYs.
>
>Paging professor Fybush!

Right here, Dr. Wollman! (Oh, wait, we won't be able to joke about that
when we have the REAL Dr. Halper, will we?)

The major change window was open Jan. 26-30 and reportedly produced some
1300 valid applications. BUT...it was specifically limited to 540-1600 and
did not include the X-band.

At the moment, there is no mechanism for applying for a new X-band signal
by anyone other than:

1) The stations (like WGIN - or is it WGIP? I always forget which is
which...) that were on the original list of applicants and were granted
reservations on the X-band. The idea with that original window was to
reduce nighttime interference on the 540-1600 spectrum as much as possible,
which had the semi-paradoxical result that the bigger your original signal,
the more likely you were to be granted an X-band slot. But of course, those
huge signals (940 in Fresno, for instance) are the ones least likely to
really want to move to the X-band. I don't know why some of them applied in
the first place...maybe they thought there'd be a rules change allowing
them to stay on both frequencies.

2) Anyone meeting the "Elizabeth qualifications" - an AM daytimer that's
the only licensed service to a community with 100,000 or more people. It is
believed that the three stations so qualified - WJDM in Elizabeth NJ, for
whom the rule was created, KDIA Vallejo CA and 540 Costa Mesa CA - have
already gotten their X-banders, which are not covered by the five-year
sunset rule. (540 Costa Mesa has nonetheless gone dark; the X-bander it
spawned on 1650 was worth much more than the 540 ever would have been, anyway.)