WMUR turns 50

Kevin Vahey kvahey@tmail.com
Fri Feb 6 18:54:46 EST 2004

The roof of a hockey rink collapsed in Berlin.
The story is sadly true.

Then there was the follow of the xmtr engineer on the mountain in
Goffstown. In 1968 9 was the only local station with coverage of the
shooting of RFK as the Boston stations went off after the speech. After
the anthem was played, the STL would have the ABC signal fed into it and
since xmtr guy was asleep 9 picked up by accident WABC going back to LA.
A few weeks later, same xmtr guy heard anthem and shut xmtr off and went
home. Only problem, it was a gold medal being given at the Mexico City
Olympics.

Oh and in November 1968, WMUR was the first station to declare Nixon the
President, as GM Sam Phillips didn't want to pay OT to the crew.
Station didn t carry Joey Bishop either as that would have meant staying
on until 1. 9 ran People Are Funny reruns followed by The Rifleman and
went off at 1230. (And we always supered BY FILM

Since 9 didn't have a color VTR, if something was delayed, ABC would
send a 16MM print with commercials spliced in as we did have color
film.

We had one perk, if we ran an ad for Pizza by Charles on Elm St, they
would deliver a free pizza for crew. Same with dinner, run an ad for the
Red Arrow or Puritan.

United Broadcasting was quite the operation.
All they ever wanted was to move the xmtr to Georgetown, MA and become a
Boston indy, but Uncle Charley didn't buy it.