FCC...making sense?

Daniel Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Mon Aug 30 18:29:30 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>
To: "Boston Radio Interest (E-mail)" <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 3:30 PM
Subject: FCC...making sense?

> Copps reminds the reader that "American citizens own the public airwaves,
not TV
> executives."

That's right and American citizens have shown through the ratings that they
don't want more coverage of public affairs.  What Copps is saying is "we
know best" and the TV networks should force people to watch more public
affairs because it is good for them.  That's elitism at its worse.

> He argues against prevailing
>corporate-speak by reminding that over 35 million viewers don't have cable
TV

That means over 200 million Americans do have access to cable.  Is he
suggesting that the broadcasters should program for that small minority?

I'm a politically active Republican and I will likely only watch the
President's speech on Thursday.  I can get anything important from the
convention from the news.  I'm glad it is not the good ole days when I would
have had no choice but to watch the convention.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine