Jerry Howard

Kiss 102 F.M. kiss102@together.net
Sun Apr 25 13:07:26 EDT 2004

Hi!   I am Barry Lunderville, the Producer of Radio New England Magazine,
which aired on variously 75 to 90 New England Radio Stations between July of
1983, and Early November 1993.  579 editions, and Jerry Howard (Slim
Pickins) was indeed the signature on every single edition.  He would begin
with "Pickin's Talkin", Oh Say" and on he would go with the joke of the day.
He was wonderful.  The off color out takes of his many recording sessions
with me are precious, and I will have to dig some of the out of storage to
share with the rest of you.

I met Jerry Howard (Howarth, only in the Phone book) when I was just 20
years old and secured an on air position at WJDA in Quincy, on my way to
Boston.  He lit up every day of every life.  He never had a sick day, so he
was always right there in one of the chairs in the lobby of WJDA waiting for
his next on air assignment on the station. (Program Director Win Bettinson
would put an announcer's initials beside each element on the station play
log)   Jerry had a story for every instance he would come out of the studio
and sit in the chair.  He left WJDA circa 1976 or so, and worked for Ed
Perry during the infancy of WATD (as has been reported) then on to WPLM, for
a few years, then into retirement up in New Hampshire.  Radio New England
came along just as he retired, and it gave him yet another decade of
entertaining the public he loved so much.

I will miss him.  Jay Asher (Owner of WJDA) and I attended the visiting
hours in Wakefield.

Regards to all,

Barry Lunderville
WXXS-FM