How about...Air America on college radio?

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Sun Apr 25 14:41:12 EDT 2004

>>They do have some money to throw around...<

Without affiliations in the #2 and #3 markets, I seriously doubt it.

>>here's an idea. Have them approach one or
several of the college stations in town and offer to
have one or more AA shows carried "for free". (Or PAY
the college stations to run Franken.)<<

Not bloody likely.  You'd see an immediate revolt by their investors, who don't give money to such causes out of the goodness of their collective hearts.  They are looking for a return on their investment.  Freebies don't do it.

>>Since college stations can't run commercials, either AA or the stations themselves can fill ad breaks with
promos, PSAs, or advocacy announcements from groups
like moveon.org and PETA. Rich liberals like George
Soros can bankroll this (and provide satellite dishes
if needed). The message is what counts, not making
money, right?<<

If that's what you really believe, I want some of what you're smoking.  AA's biggest problem, aside from the generally poor quality of its programming, is circulation.  It's the same problem that beset ABC-TV in its early years:  The number of markets in which they were frozen out or relegated to low-power-VHF or UHF stations, that didn't cover the market.  AA is, so far, on marginal or downright crappy signals, since all the 50-kW blowtorches are already taken.  They need to get onto high-power, wide-coverage stations, and they need to do it fast, before the investors panic.  Nickel-and-diming themselves onto college stations isn't gonna cut it.

And I'm sure George Soros appreciates your plans for his money.

>>A few might have open slots in the afternoon (hey,
student DJs are in class and it beats dead air).<<

So if those student DJ's are in class, who's going to run the network programming and roll over those commercials with non-commercial matter?  Not every college station is automated yet.  Then we come to school vacations and holidays, when non-comms can be off the air and not have it count against the required minimum operating schedule.  How does that help AA?

Bottom line: What you're proposing is for AA to add audience without adding revenue.  That is fiscally irresponsible in the extreme.

Whether you're on the commercial or non-commercial side of the aisle, broadcasting is a business.  Those in broadcasting who forget it are doomed to failure.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF-WEEI AM/FM-WQSX-WRKO-WVEI
20 Guest St / 3d Floor