Could Wang Labs Come Back?

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Wed Apr 14 19:54:20 EDT 2004

  Laurence Glavin wrote:
>I believe some people here once derived a paycheck from
>Wang Laboratories, a now essentially defunct computer
>and software company,
>Ok, going back to even before the towers on Industrial Ave were
>built, Wang offered dedicated WP devices, desktop calculators,
>and something called the Time Tunnel.  It was designed
>to take the input of a radio station running a talk show, store
>it in something akin to random access memory, then 7 seconds later,
>retrieve it and send it on to the line.  The selling
>point: no moving parts!  I was told that WBZ-AM used one,
>but after some other product lines took off, like the VS
>minicomputer, the Doctor's attention was diverted
>elsewhere, and production of the TT was squelched.

I worked there from '70-73 and I don't remember such a product, though they
did seem to have some  odd custom one-of-a-kind products out there.  As
lead tech of the repair center's "special products'" group I had to try and
figure out a good number of them with limited or no documentation.  One of
which was installed at some chicken farm in Conn. that was supposed to
count and grade eggs.  That was a real joy...the control unit was covered
with feathers and other disgusting chicken "byproducts".