Nassau Flipped Today

Chuck Igo chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Tue Apr 13 19:25:07 EDT 2004

Dan (hourly) Billings wrote:
>> (snip) The new format at 107.5 will give Chuck and my other former
co-workers at Oldies 100.9 a challenge, but I'm sure they are up to it.
The station is solid as is and Saga will do what they need to do to
protect a profitable franchise. <<

I don't see Francis as being a problem for us.  The on-air presentation
of 107.5 is a tug at "more interesting," which is aimed at Saga sister
station WMGX.  The Classic Hits format is okay in and of itself, but the
playlist is geared more towards the album generation that grew up on the
psychedelic Beatles and then listened to "Dark Side of the Moon" (just
aired on 107.5 at 6:56pm, btw) in a room lit only by a black-light.
Most of us (yeah, I'm one... Pass the Nyquil...) enjoy that sort of
playlist, but do enjoy those songs in the order in which they appeared
on the LP or on the current CD.  They are, from what I've heard,
targeted to the "rock" sound from '66 to the 80's. (they're imaging with
song clips from all 3 decades).  When they start spinning Motown, R&B,
Elvis and early Beatles, then Oldies might have to worry.

Dan then further opined:
>>Now that I think about it: Wouldn't it have made more sense to put
Classic Rock on WBLM's former frequency at 107.5, which would also
provide a signal strong enough to really challenge the Blimp?
The 106.7/104.7 simulcast would have been given enough coverage to
challenge Oldies 100.9, which is not one of the stronger signals in the
market. <<

The target demo of Franny is more in line with what *used* to be at
107.5, back when the bumper stickers of the dirigible indicated 108 FM.
The Bone (if they play a record, do they need cartilages in their
turntables???) could have just as easily fit at 107.5 (with groups such
as .38 Special and AC/DC playing as we speak), but Francis will draw a
more-balanced demo in Portland, Lewiston-Auburn and even Augusta, as
opposed to the almost-exclusive male numbers 104.7/106.7 will garner.

- -Chuck (did you like the lawyer-thing at the beginning? ;-) ) Igo