Nassau Flipped Today

Dan Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Tue Apr 13 18:50:39 EDT 2004

1470 is a nostalgia format using WLAM jingles.  I did not listen long enough
to figure out whether it was a satellite service or something else.

When I tuned in 870 after 5 tonight, they were running a John Kerry speech.

Do the 106.7 and 104.7 signals cover the market well enough to make an
impact?  106.7 is not listenable in the Freeport/Brunswick area, which is in
the Portland Metro, and is even a little scratchy in downtown Portland.  Of
course, a couple of points out of WBLM will really shake up the market.
104.7 covers the York County coast well, but that area is not in the
Portland Metro.

The new format at 107.5 will give Chuck and my other former co-workers at
Oldies 100.9 a challenge, but I'm sure they are up to it.  The station is
solid as is and Saga will do what they need to do to protect a profitable
franchise.

Now that I think about it: Wouldn't it have made more sense to put Classic
Rock on WBLM's former frequency at 107.5, which would also provide a signal
strong enough to really challenge the Blimp?

The 106.7/104.7 simulcast would have been given enough coverage to challenge
Oldies 100.9, which is not one of the stronger signals in the market.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine