WCRB-FM Stereo

Hakim Madjid hmadjid@yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 02:45:14 EST 2003

Kevin Vahey writes:

>I dimly recall some station in Boston claiming at
>one point they were transmitting a quad signal. WWEL
>seems to be the one nagging in my
>head.

AFIK, Uncle Charlie never approved (unlike with FM
stereo a decade earlier) any sort of quadraphonic
standard. So I don't know what the station was really
claiming. I only vaguely, if at all, remember the WWEL
call letters, as a matter of fact.

That being said There were several proposals before
the FCC for some sort of 4 channel multiplex, but the
whole quadraphonic thing died before any rule making
could happen. The issue being moot, the FCC simply
dropped it from further consideration.

What I understood - I could be wrong - veteran
broadcast engineers are welcome to comment - is that
the quad matrix systems back then such as the CBS /
Columbia records SQ system, you could just broadcast
an encoded Lp, it wouldn't require any special
equipment on at the station - listeners could just
decode it with their SQ enabled equipment.

=====
73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)