WESX & WJDA Playing Unforgettable Favorites

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sat Nov 15 08:39:59 EST 2003

   I noticed over the last few weeks that co-owned WESX (1230 Salem MA) and
WJDA (1300 Quincy MA) have been sounding more AC with none of the "Stardust"
satellite standards they have been playing for several years. The jocks
touting the format as "unforgettable favorites" It seems like they changed
to a new satellite format, as revealed via quick on line research. ABC
offers a format called "Memories, Unforgettable Favorites"  To quote a line
from the format description (for scholarly purposes only): "Unforgettable
Favorites is the format for targeting the growing and successful 35-54
audience." The music I've heard is soft AC hits from the late 50's -early
60's through the 70's and 80's, similar to WPLM-FM (99.1 Plymouth MA).

   ABC continues to offer the "Stardust" standards format, touting it as
having the "greatest pop standards and AC oldies of all time". Is anyone in
New England still carrying "Stardust"? WESX & WJDA were the only stations I
could pick up in the Boston area that had it.

   BTW, if anyone wants to learn more about the various satellite formats
that ABC offers, you can check it out on the web:

     www.abcradio.com    Click on "24 Hour Formats" on the 'Music & Sports"
area on the home page.

Mark Watson