"Let It Be... Half-Naked" on 'ODS

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 13:35:20 EST 2003

LIB was
> never one of my favorite
> Beatles albums anyway and after hearing it the same
> way for 33 years the
> de-Spectorized version didn't sound right.  I think
> I'll pass on buying the CD.

I thought it was good, though; everything from
the fast-packed, folk-rocky "Two of Us" to the
get-back-to-basics "One After 909"...from George's
"I Me Mine" to very underrated songs like John's
"Across the Universe". It was interesting to hear
more organ on "Let it Be", or hear instruments that
were later drowned out by add-ons. I'm the type that
likes alternate takes, etc. I think I enjoyed
the alternate versions of "Fool on the Hill",
"Penny Lane", and "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" from the
Anthology albums BETTER than what we were all
used to...

Considering the atmosphere in which it was made
(hey! let's get a group that's about ready to break up
into a cold film studio and rush an album out),
it did very well. The "released" version of the
album is still out of course, plus we have this
as "what it REALLY sounded like in the studio".
As it was mentioned on-air, recent technological
developments have helped them to not only clear
up the sound but give you the sense of what it
really sounded like back then.

I'm not sure if the album's second disc will contain
them or not, but I'd like to see them have the entire
rooftop concert (about 20 min. or so) and the full
length "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)"
which did appear on Anthology 3. "You Know..." was the
flip side of the "Let It Be" single IIRC.