WCRN

Rich Chadwick rich@RichChadwick.com
Wed Nov 12 13:12:15 EST 2003

Dan,

I have worked with the Carters for the past three years and have mentioned
this subject to Mr. Carter each time it has come up.  The facts are that the
station is running an automation system that we designed and built for them
and it is flying solo after 5pm or so each day.  All power and direction
changes are handled automatically.  Having been out there for service at
various hours of the night, I can assure you no one is there trying to
squeak another few watts out of the array.  They are excited about the
pending upgrade but are realistically not expecting to implement that until
the spring.  Without getting too defensive, might I suggest you substantiate
future claims with more than a hunch before being so accusatory in a public
forum.

Rich Chadwick

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Dan Strassberg
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 5:40 AM
To: Boston Radio Interest
Subject: WCRN

It may be my imagination, but I suspect that WCRN has been operating after
midnight with more than 5 kW. Maybe Mr Glavin could provide a
signal-strength reading. I suppose that this could be some sort of testing
in preparation for the station's increase to 50 kW-N. However, the CP to
increase night power was granted only a couple of weeks ago and I don't
think the FCC allows stations to begin construction for 60 days after the
grant of such a CP. Also, WCRN's CP calls for the addition of a tower and,
of course, a new phasing network. A tower could go up within weeks, but,
except in emergencies, such as the loss of a tower, construction usually
takes much longer. Phasing networks are all custom designed and built so
they tend to take a LONG time to deliver. (Ask WBIX and WAZN; those stations
placed orders for phasors well over a year ago and are apparently still
waiting for delivery. Meanwhile, WBIX's CP expired and, according to a
posting at radio-info.com, has had to be tolled. Tolling is the name of a
legal procedure that stops the clock on a process that would otherwise
expire without possibility of reinstatment.) Anyhow, if WCRN is taking
advantage of the midnight-to-6:00 AM experimental period, the station isn't
supposed to broadcast commercial messages while it uses facilities different
from those specified in its license. I've heard commercials during the
overnight hours when I suspect WCRN has been running more than its currently
licensed 5 kW-N.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367