XM gets "sirius"

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Fri Dec 26 17:42:21 EST 2003

  rogerkirk wrote:
>An interesting article in the NY times today:
>says that XM has 1 million subscribers and needs 3 million to break
>even.  Sirius has 200K and needs 2 million to break even.  Are there
>realistically 4 million+ more potential listeners waiting in the
>wings?  The article noted that Sirius has changed management and their Pop
>Music is already taking a more conservative approach.  Shades of
>terrestrial radio management.

This article sounded waaay too much like a composite of XM & Sirius press
releases.  Could the author have been a little more blatant in his
gushing?  While I think the concept of satellite-delivered pay radio is
here to stay, I also think that the music channels need to be more
mainstream and accessible.  Too many of them seemed like they were
influenced by postings on internet message boards.  My brother in law had
XM in his truck for a while and to me the music seemed to be a bit obscure
for the non-music geek (at least on the channels I listened to).  The 60s
channel had stuff I'd never even heard of.  I don't think that would
translate well to the listener who still cranks it up when "Pretty Woman"
comes on and thinks "Hot Fun In The Summertime" is an 'oh wow' song.  Most
people don't intently LISTEN to the radio, y'know, and indeed often tune
out when something unfamilar comes on.  I'd personally prefer it to be
jockless...I didn't see the the voicetracked airstaff added much.  I also
found the relatively un-processed audio to be a bit annoying to listen to
in a vehicle.

That having been said, while I don't see satellite radio displacing
terrestrial radio anytime soon, there is an audience for it out
there.  Whether this audience can support 2 competing providers, only time
will tell.