WBOQ changes to 60s/70s AC/oldies

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Thu Dec 25 09:19:29 EST 2003

Bob Nelson wrote:

>"Wait a minute...I may be going about this all wrong.
>Maybe today's radio listeners WANT something
>different, not just the same songs over and over.
>Maybe they want SHORTER stop sets and DJs who don't
>ramble on and on! Wider playlists! Adventurous
>musical selections! Why, I could revolutionize the
>radio dial!...
>
>"NAAAAAAAAAH!" (dismissing the whole silly notion) :)

While everyone (except the sales dept.) complains about commercials, and
yappy djs have long been seen as a negative I don't see any evidence that
today's listeners will gravitate to a station that breaks the
mold.   Stations do what they do because it works.  I can't off hand think
of a single station with a wide, deep playlist that attracts a bigger
audience than a similarly formatted competitor that sticks to the
hits.  Radio geeks are not typical listeners (beleive it or not!).

BTW, who has djs that "ramble on and on" these days?  Most radio boards
seem to have more complaints about liner card jocks.