of course!

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Dec 22 23:49:44 EST 2003

Well, WBOQ was obviously targeting the Volvo set and was apparently doing it
very successfully. The MANY spots were clearly targeted at the sensibilities
of an upscale suburban audience that would appreciate the unique--and in my
opinion, wonderful--selection of music. I figure that the new format
basically targets the folks who live in (and keep setting fire to) the
rooming houses in Lynn. Remember? Lynn, Lynn, city of sin; you won't get out
the way that you came in. THAT Lynn.

As Larry Weil said, unless they were giving away spots (Ed note: or unless
somebody had his hand in the till), the station must have been making money.
Somebody in ownership or management is trying to be a hero and will wind up
the same sort of hero as the person who flipped 95.7 in Philadelphia from
classical. From what I've read, in half a dozen years (and at least three
formats) since that flip, the station has NEVER equaled its ratings as a
classical station (and reportedly has never billed more than half of what it
used to bill). And remember, classical is not expensive to program because
it's not a personality-driven format, so talent costs are modest. However,
it was conventional wisdom that classical couldn't make money.

I guess this isn't news, but the US radio industry (or at least
radio-industry management) seems to be populated by some of the dumbest
conformist suits on the planet. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but how
can one not be continually astounded by the herd mentality?

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367