of course!

Tim Davisson rdavisson@neo.rr.com
Mon Dec 22 22:32:49 EST 2003

> Beg pardon - but "why, back where I come from" a salesman is supposed to
KNOW how to sell.  Why should an owner have to teach salespeople?>

I've been on the sales side of radio since 1983 and sales training has been
part of my career from my 1st job. Help has ALWAYS been there from
management/ownership.

It's assumed most salespeople know HOW to sell, they just have to understand
WHAT they're selling...the lifestyle of a particular format's
listeners...the type of businesses they should be calling on, and so forth.
Teaching that is part of modern sales training.

It is naive to think a radio or TV station can hire a sales staff...throw
them a stack of business cards and a rate card and say "go get 'em tiger".
That mentality is 20+ years out of date.  Smart owners know they will net
the lion's share of advertising sales profits if their sales crew is as
well-preparred and successful as possible! That's just smart business.