New England Cable News

Dan Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Sat Dec 20 13:16:52 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Pappalardo" <joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com>
To: "Jeremy Mixer" <mixer@zoso.net>; "BRI"
<boston-radio-interest@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc: "Sean Smyth" <ssmyth@psu.edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2003 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: New England Cable News

> I know once you get up towards Bangor, people are in another world.  ;-)
> However, are people in the Portland area connected with Boston at all?

Not really, other than the sports teams.  Nobody cares about the Big Dig or
Mass politics.

> There was a period in the mid-70's that I remember WBZ did reasonably well
> in the Portland market (as an out of town signal.)

In the Spring 2003 book, WBZ tied for 16th with a 1.4 12+.  One of the
stations that they tied with was Portland's only all news station WMTW AM &
FM.  WMTW had run TV ads that featured workers from the local baked bean
factory saying the line "Boston doesn't know Beans about Maine news."

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine