Radio-info/Boston Lit Up By WBZ Digital Signal

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 01:42:25 EST 2003

> From: Laurence Glavin <lglavin@lycos.com>
> To: boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
> Subject:    Radio-info/Boston Lit Up By WBZ Digital Signal
>
> (BTW, one poster claimed that WJIB-AM runs AM stereo
> during butterfly-breath power;  I believe Bob said this
> is not so.)

I was the "poster" who claimed that. When someone asked
which Boston area AM stations are currently in stereo, I offered
this reply:

> 740 WJIB (stereo full-time, on both full day power and low
> night power).
>
> 1090 WILD (daytime only, the "critical" half-hour from local
> sunset until signoff is mono).
>
> 1360 WLYN (daytime only, low-power night signal is mono).

WJIB began broadcasting in stereo on the nighttime power
about a year ago or so. I was surprised to hear it, since the
nighttime power had been mono for a number of years. Since
I was in Cambridge where the signal is strong, I wondered at
first if the station hadn't powered down from the day signal,
but it actually was the low-power night signal, now in stereo.

Bring an AM stereo receiver to the Cambridge/Boston metro
area and nearby suburbs some night and hear for yourself.

Eli Polonsky