Fwd: RE: WPAA-FM Off-the-air

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Thu Dec 4 16:59:33 EST 2003

>DATE: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:49:20
>From: "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>
>To: <lglavin@lycos.com>,<boston-radio->interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org>

>I could pick
> up both WUMB's Amesbury/Newburyport rebroadcaster amd
> WMWMWMWM (I know how to spell it, I just don't know when to stop,
> just like Sununununu).

>Can you check to see if there is any improvement from >WUML (91.5 Lowell).  They
>protect WPAA, the primary reason for its directional >signal.

>Bill O'Neil

Incredible as it may seem, WJUL/WUML always held up well on
rt 28 as I drove RIGHT PAST the campus of Phillips Academy;
the WPAA transmitter is set back an eighth-of-a-mile from Main
Street, just off Salem St beyond the red brick obelisk.
You had to go to the complex of buildings  that houses the
transmitter and the single-bay antenna THEN WPAA would squelch
91.5 from Lowell.  Their website claimes 33 or so watts
ERP;  I believe from the uninterrupted months-long operation,
the power might have been below even 10 watts.