Class A AMs and their owners - 1983 edition

This one's going out to "Dan in Maine"...from the pages of a 1983 BY that
once resided at 45 Newport Avenue, Hull...I've starred the stations whose
ownership changed between 1968 and 1983.

In retrospect, this was something of a dark time for station ownership, at
least as I recall it. I don't think anyone looks back fondly on radio
owners like Multimedia, Gannett, Outlet or Columbia Pictures as having done
much for the advancement of the industry. It certainly wasn't an era where
much was being spent on station facility improvements - and station values
of the era reflected that, I think.

Oh, and Jibguy - Ariel can't quite hold the book open by herself yet. When
she can...watch out!

>>  KAAY         |          1090 Citadel

Multimedia*

>>  KDKA         |          1020 Viacom

Westinghouse

>>  KEX          |          1190 CCU

Golden West (Autry)

>>  KFAB         |          1110 CCU

Lincoln Journal & Star

>>  KFAQ         |          1170 Journal Broadcast Group

KVOO - Southwestern Sales

>>  KFBK         |          1530 CCU

McClatchy

>>  KFI          |           640 CCU

Cox*

>>  KGA          |          1510 Citadel

Community Pacific Broadcasting*

>>  KGO          |           810 Disney

ABC

>>  KIRO         |           710 Entercom

Bonneville

>>  KMOX         |          1120 Viacom

CBS

>>  KNBR         |           680 Susquehanna

NBC

>>  KNX          |          1070 Viacom

CBS

>>  KNZR         |          1560 Buckley

Speare Broadcast Enterprises*

>>  KOA          |           850 CCU

GE

>>  KOMA         |          1520 Renda

Storz

>>  KOMO         |          1000 Fisher

Fisher

>>  KRLD         |          1080 Viacom

Metromedia*

>>  KSL          |          1160 Bonneville

Bonneville

>>  KSTP         |          1500 Hubbard

Hubbard

>>  KWKH         |          1130 CCU

Great Empire Bcstg*

>>  KXEL         |          1540 Bahakel

Bahakel

>>  KYW          |          1060 Viacom

Westinghouse

>>  WABC         |           770 Disney

ABC

>>  WBAL         |          1090 Hearst

Hearst

>>  WBAP         |           820 Disney

Capital Cities*

>>  WBBM         |           780 Viacom

CBS

>>  WBBR         |          1130 Bloomberg

WNEW - Metromedia

>>  WBT          |          1110 Jefferson-Pilot

Jefferson-Pilot

>>  WBZ          |          1030 Viacom

Westinghouse

>>  WCBS         |           880 Viacom

CBS

>>  WCCO         |           830 Viacom

Midwest Radio-TV

>>  WFAN         |           660 Viacom

NBC

>>  WGN          |           720 Tribune

Tribune

>>  WGY          |           810 CCU

GE

>>  WHAM         |          1180 CCU

Rust

>>  WHAS         |           840 CCU

WHAS Inc. (Courier-Journal)

>>  WHO          |          1040 CCU

Palmer Communications

>>  WJR          |           760 Disney

Cap Cities

>>  WLAC         |          1510 CCU

Sudbrink Broadcasting*

>>  WLS          |           890 Disney

ABC

>>  WLW          |           700 CCU

Mariner Communications*

>>  WMVP         |          1000 Disney

Mutual*

>>  WOAI         |          1200 CCU

Clear Channel*

>>  WOR          |           710 Buckley

RKO (in its final year)

>>  WPHT         |          1210 Viacom

CBS

>>  WQEW         |          1560 NYT Co, LMA to Disney

NYTCo

>>  WRVA         |          1140 CCU

Harte Hanks Radio*

>>  WSAI         |          1530 CCU

Truth Publishing Co (aka Federated Media - Dille family)*

>>  WSB          |           750 Cox

Cox

>>  WSCR         |           670 Viacom

NBC

>>  WSM          |           650 Gaylord, LMA to Cumulus

WSM Inc.

>>  WTAM         |          1100 CCU

Gannett*

>>  WTIC         |          1080 Viacom