Re: Clear Channel, consolidation, etc.

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Scott Fybush wrote:

> their AM properties in a way that Ma and Pa never could. It's exceedingly
> rare to find a CC AM station with unlistenable audio quality, a corroded
> ground system, a missed legal ID or day power/pattern after dark - and when

Scott, there's the case of WWRC-AM 1260 Washington DC (previously WWDC and
then WGAY) which has LOTS and LOTS of trouble putting out a satisfactory
signal over its COL.   I remember back in 1999 I was in the city itself
and I had trouble getting then-WGAY on my portable radio.

Supposedly I've heard the ground system (or is it the antenna) of this one
has gone to seed.

But then again, for some reason, Washington DC is not very good to MW
radio signals...Bonneville's mighty AM 15 WTOP (50,000 watts) can be heard
in New York City, but supposedly the signal over Washington DC is also
horrendous.

Why is that?

--
Sven