Re: Pro's & Kin's

> At 11:48 AM 10/14/2003, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> >correct English pronunciation?  Do we have to Hispanicize everything
> >just to please some politically-correct pressure groups?

I'm bilingual.  I was always taught to pronounce words depending on the
language I'm speaking.  Meh-hee-co in Spanish, Mex-ee-coh in English.
Texas in English, Teh-jas in Spanish. Kyoo-bah in English, Koo-ba in
Spanish.  Oh...and also with the appropriate accent.

Has anyone noticed also how (particularly with NPR's Hispanic hosts), they
go out of their way to emphasize the Spanish accent (pronounce Lo-pes the
way a Spanish speaker would instead of "Low-pez" the way you'd say it in
English)  while reading/speaking in English?  It sounds akward, stupid and
affected, especially to a genuine, native Spanish speaker.

Why do they do this?

--
Sven