Re: Pro's & Kin's

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:28:52 -0400, Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com> said:
>
> > If it's a Spanish speaking country, shouldn't they give it the
> > correct Spanish pronunciation?  Do we have to Anglicize everything
> > just to please some intolerant Americans?
>
> If it's an English-language broadcast, shouldn't they give it the
> correct English pronunciation?  Do we have to Hispanicize everything
> just to please some politically-correct pressure groups?
>
> -GAWollman

What is wrong with pronouncing a locality name the way the locals
pronounce it? If we're going to complain about someone pronouncing
Worcester the way it looks, isn't it hypocritical to corrupt the
pronunciation of a foreign place name because it seems too PC to say it
in the manner of the foreign tongue?

In the vein of radio, any further rumors of WFNX's imminent demise? With
the recent demolition of WMRQ and the upcoming switchover of WLIR 92.7
from alternative to Spanish (supposedly).... I'm getting ready to fire up
some serious storage in the car, or satellite service to feed my
alternative/modern rock/techno habit...

-Peter (well travelled) Murray (N3IXY)
Pittsburgh, PA