WBUR budgetary needs

Some folks are asking me what WBUR is spending $18 million annually on.  I
have some informed speculation on that...

1: OnPoint - this show is costing them a lot of money ($15000 per week I
hear - $780k annually), but also is getting them a LOT of ratings.  It's
made WBUR into serious competition against Brudnoy on WBZ.   A lot of the
money spend on the show is no doubt Tom Ashbrook's salary which must've
been hefty to lure him to WBUR (remember Chris Lydon was getting something
like $200k/yr in salary, I'll bet Ashbrook's not quite that high but not
that far from it).  Jack Beatty also is getting a pretty penny too I'd
imagine.  Figure in a couple of producers, a tech director, and a show
director and you're talking real money there.

2: WRNI - BUR has poured a lot of money into WRNI trying to get a more
viable signal with middling results. WRNI has tried to get more
underwriting to help pay for itself but in this economic scene it's been
tough.  Whenever I listen to WRNI whilst driving down to CT to visit the
'rents I hear precious little underwriting in the breaks.  I hope that WRNI
is getting enough ROI for them - I really like the concept.

3: NPR fees - have gone up big time in the past few years.  Hence why
there's more BBC and less NPR shows on WBUR these days.

4: War coverage - WBUR spent a fortune having Dick Gordon doing the
Connection live from Iraq.  Personally, I thought it was a nice concept,
but probably not worth the outrageous cost.   And now they're trying to
send him there again.  Yikes!   There have been a lot of other war coverage
costs, too (Iraq and Afghanistan)...WBUR's telco bill for satellite phones,
ISDN and regular POTS is something like $900,000.

5: Fundraising costs - the old adage of that you gotta spend money to make
money is true, but I think they might be going overboard with all the
contests and Citizens of the World things they do these days.  I wonder
what the ROI really is on those things...maybe they're justified but I
can't help but think it seems so extravagant that some donors are turned
off by it.

6: Upper management salaries - always a favorite target of mine, but not
all that valid a target.  The upper management circle at WBUR is well paid
to be yes men to Queen Jane.  I'm sure Jane is well paid too.  But by the
same token, I'll bet it's not all that extreme.  Six figures for most of
them?  Almost certainly, but I'll bet not all that far into six figures. Is
that really so extreme compared to the commercial world?   Also consider
that WBUR really isn't a "public radio" station in the traditional sense
anymore...they're almost a content depot already, and public radio news
stations/networks are re-defining the concept of "public radio" into
something more commercial-like but without a lot of the more offensive
aspects of modern commercial news (IMHO).   What was an obscene amount of
money ten years ago is the norm today.

7: Web development - WBUR has a huge web department compared to many
stations.  Here I have to hand it to them - they started out a day late and
a dollar short but since then they've embraced the potential of the web
with a venegance.  It's still a work in progress, but as radio broadcast
migrates to a more interactive paradigm (HD Radio and the Tomorrow Radio
project) WBUR will be well-positioned to take full advantage of it.