Re: Non-competes

On 22 Sep 2003 at 10:28, Aaron Read wrote:

> Not necessarily....when the company in question makes a product that is
> essentially harmful or even if it doesn't mesh with the public's
> consciousness, then it's wise to sell folks on the concept first to lower
> their knee-jerk reaction to the actual product or service.

I still wouldn't hire an agency which couldn't write an ad that made clear what the advertiser
was selling.  In the situations you describe, the advertiser isn't selling the product.  It's
selling reputation, good-will, or acceptance of a different sort.  But an agency that can't come
up with an ad with a clear message is a bad agency no matter what message is desired.

> Many biotech firms do this, most notably "Priosec - The Purple Pill" which
> has yet to ever have an ad saying exactly what the hell the purple pill
> does (I think it's something to do with chronic heartburn)

It does.  Which makes this hard to fathom, since I've seen ads for Pepcid AC,,, Prevacid,
and other such heartburn remedies.