Re: WJUL & Lowell Sunrise

On 3 Sep 2003 at 23:37, elipolo@earthlink.net wrote:

> > Isn't there a law that now forces net-squatters to give up URLs if they
> > are someone's trademark?
>
> Would that be "eminent domain"?

No, "eminent domain" is the power of the government to take private property for public use,
paying a reasonable compensation to the owner.

I forget what the law is called, but there is a federal statute regulating internet domain
squatting and providing a procedure whereby a federal court can order a domain transferred.
Some years ago I saw an InterNic policy that they would transfer a domain name to the
holder of a federally-registered trademark in that name and would comply with any court
orders regarding domain name transfers.  That was when name registration was run entirely
by the InterNic.  I don't know whether there is such a net policy today anywhere.