Re: High School Radio in the face of budget cuts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 11:58 AM
Subject: High School Radio in the face of budget cuts

> I like learning more about high school radio, but many of them might as
> well be a black hole for all the information they make public (i.e.
through
> news and through websites) about themselves.  And since a lot of them are
> small Class A or D, I can't listen to 'em over the air.  Well, okay, I can
> get WHHB Holliston at work in Medfield but they're only on after 2:30 or
so...

My granddaughter was on WHHB for 2 semesters last year and the kids pay
for this after school activity privilege.

They sign on around 2:15 and run until 10pm. Only the seniors work
the 8-10 pm slot.

School just started up today in Holliston and while writing this, I tuned
them
in to find them on the air this afternoon, complete with the EAS test!

I can tell you that it's a pretty hang loose operation. The kids bring in
their
own music. They look up the wx on the Internet and have a temp gauge
outside of the building. The studio is located in the back of the school
library
with a separate (camera security) back entrance and buzzer. There's a 14
channel
slide pot board. Can't remember the make-but I used the same back
in the 80's. The studio includes 2 CD players, 2 cassette decks,and 3 MICs.
The kids are required to log all their music. And there are a few songs with
questionable lyrics that are on the do not play list. Some of the kids play
them
anyway, so they can "bleep" them. All the PSA's are on the hard drive.

She will be back at it again this year. I will ask her to provide me with
more
details. But she's not a radio geek like me and doesn't much care who takes
care of setting up the programming or the technical stuff.

-Lorraine-