Re: Citadel sales?

At 08:19 PM 8/29/2003, Nostaticatall wrote:
>A lot of these small market stations aren't generating the cash flow
>percentages the chains were hoping for when they acquired them, so the big
>guys are starting to sell out to local interests.  It makes sense--local
>or regional owners may have the ability to stimulate ad revenues from
>local clients better than a big chain, and they don't have the pressures
>of answering to Wall Street either.   Plus, with the chains so dependent
>on national advertising, I would imagine airtime on these small market
>stations isn't all that attractive to their client bases.
>
>Mike Thomas

You could call this "market forces at work"...the market for national-level
advertising has dried up hardcore in the fallout from the dot-bomb
crash.  Many NPR shows and NPR central itself depended heavily on lucrative
national-level advertising...err...underwriting... :-) to expand their
shows and power base.  Nowadays it's much harder to get folks to pony up
for a national-level underwriting deal, esp. compared to cheaper local
underwriting.