Re: Blethan campaign against FCC rules

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Chonak" <rac@gabrielmass.com>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 8:06 PM
Subject: Re: Blethan campaign against FCC rules

>What sort of rational standard could they
> have proposed for allowing some cases of cross-ownership?

The FCC could look at the financial position of the properties involved.
Boston would likely be a one paper town if Murduch did not buy the Herald
when he did.  We might have more papers today if cross-ownership had never
been banned.

> ["More likely to stay in business"?   Was that a typo?]

 Seatle is one a the few two newspaper towns left.  One article that I read
speculated that the second paper may not survive the split.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine