Re: Blethan campaign against FCC rules

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Chonak" <rac@gabrielmass.com>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 6:51 PM
Subject: Re: Blethan campaign against FCC rules

 > Non sequitur.  I don't think anybody claims that all instances of
> cross-ownership result in abuse of concentrated media power.

Blethan is running full-page ads claiming the rule change is a threat to
democracy.  They are not suggesting that cross-ownership should be allowed
in some circumstances, but not others.  They are showing no subtlety, why
should I?  They have also written four or five stories on the subject and a
half dozen editorials without ever mentioning the Press Herald's own
history.

Blethan just broke a joint marketing agreement with the other newspaper in
Seatle.  They may be thinking that their competition will be more likely to
stay in business if one of the companies that own the TV stations in Seatle
can't buy the paper.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine