Re: Saga buys WIDE

Chuck Igo wrote:

> what has been said here is pretty damn cruel, gang.

I'd call it frank and honest, actually.

Just like infomercials, brokered religion, and public affairs programming that have been the mainstay of AM signals in markets of all sizes for years.  And besides, go to the Bay's website (http://www.1490thebay.com) and the first thing you see is a link to sign up for the Bay's, um, discount card program.  Same as it ever was...

> if, in your estimation that the existing bird-fed programming on WIDE is in any way different than any other potential programming, let us know.

The MOR-leaning oldies format is programmed locally.  Automated in most dayparts, to be sure, but 100% local.

> wow.  pretty heddy responses for the little am signal in Biddeford.

Well, some of us still have an affinity for radio that actually is based in and serves the locality it transmits from.

I speak from experience here.  I worked with Bart and Astrid for a number of years in the 80s during WHYR's Adult CHR phase. It was fun radio, done on the cheap.  Doorbell swtiches to fire off the Otari reels in the automation room, Bart in his PJs flying into the studio when the silence sensor went off because I screwed up the transition to live assist at 5:30 in the morning (oh, did I mention that the station was based out of Bart's *apartment* above Norm's TV in Saco?)  Not to mention timing my order at Vic & Whit's Sandwich Shop so that I could get back to the studio in time to fire off the next song!

Look, I know that things can never be like they were, but even now they're better than they're about to be...

Take care,
Chris