Re: Whitley vs City of Lawrence

----- Original Message -----
From: "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com>
To: "Dan Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 2:06 AM
Subject: Re: Whitley vs City of Lawrence

> That isn't quite the entire story.  The superintendent actually is quite
literate -- in Spanish.
> He took the test in English and apparently didn't prepare for it well.

That's what he claims.  But we don't know that to be true.  I think having a
basic command of the English language would be required for anyone in his
position.  Communicating with the public and school personnel, in person and
in writing, is a major part of the job.

> I don't necessarily expect the Superintendent to be able to pass
second-year Algebra either.
> What I do hope he can do is run the school system.  What I haven't heard
is how well he
> does that.

I just took the Bar Exam and I was required to know lots of things that I
will never need to know.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine