RE: WWZN speculation

At 05:29 PM 8/4/2003, rogerkirk wrote:
> >You may be thinking of 1150 AM, the second
> >WMEX in Boston. That was run by Greater
> >Media, and was oldies from 1985 to late 1989.
> >Quentin "The Q" Migliore was originally the
> >music director and mid-day host for the first
> >couple of years.
>
>Yes, that must be it.  As for the issue of
>mis-management - do they teach bad management
>techniques at business colleges?  Or are bad
>management decisions easy to make and hard
>to recognize?

The latter.  But frequently people feel forced to make bad decisions even
when they know they're bad.  Usually because of financial
restrictions.   That is frequently more the fault of the manager than the
owner than is commonly thought, IMHO.   Cheap owners are nothing new and
are everywhere...yet someone some stations thrive and some do not.

Still, in everyone's defense - it's a heckuva lot easier to criticize a
company's decisions when you're standing on the outside.  Quite often you
know a lot more on the inside...sometimes too much more, as it's easy to
put too much priority on some info and not enough on other info.   And it's
always easy to fall into the trap of reacting tactically to situations
instead of planning strategically.   Truly great leaders are able to not
just deal with life as it happens, but deal with it in a way that works out
to their benefit - and they can plan for six different ways to deal with it.

Needless to say...truly great leaders are VERY few and far between.  Much
like how there were - and still are - far more CEO positions than there are
actual people qualified to be CEO.   I know more than a few folks who just
shouldn't be CEO.  Senior VP's certainly, but not a CEO.   But someone's
gotta do it...