RE: WWZN speculation

> Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 22:25:12 -0400
> From: Aaron Read <aread@speakeasy.net>
> Subject: WWZN speculation
>
> I think the ideal, however, would be to drastically change the allocation
> and make a non-commercial signal for a good college or similar deal.  I'd
> like to see the experimental side of WGBH's Cape stations - WNAN and WCAI
-
> that's manifesting with Transom.org and the Public Radio Exchange
> (www.prx.org) have a nice little Boston outlet.   Say it's diplexed to
> WBZ's Allston tower (which they WILL do if the money's there for it...it
> won't be cheap but WGBH could certainly afford it) and even 10 watts
> nighttime will cover Boston proper pretty well - look at WJIB.

You can cover more ground with a given wattage on the lower portion
of the AM dial than the higher. Ten watts on 1510 would not cover
like ten watts on 740.

Also, 1510 has powerful first adjacent 50k skywaves into Boston at
night with WTOP 1500 Washington and WWKB (though I like hearing it
as WKBW again during the rest of the hour) Buffalo at 1520.

740 doesn't have such powerful first adjacent nighttime interference
in this area. WTOP and WWKB would make all kinds of 10k heterodynes
and other noise on a ten watt 1510 more than a couple of miles from
the transmitter.

I'd love to see 1510 go 50's/60's oldies like WSAI or WWKB, but
anyone who would possibly want to do it seems to know better than to
consider trying it with that albatross of a facility!

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .