Re: WWZN speculation

>From: Aaron Read <aread@speakeasy.net>
>To: bri@bostonradio.org
>Subject: WWZN speculation
>Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 22:25:12 -0400
>
>Been musing over the WWZN speculation on the radio-info.com message boards,
>some things worth considering:
>
>Clear Channel - at least according to the grunts in the trenches - wants
>nothing to do with WWZN.  It's a money pit with that hideous lease and they
>know it.  They know WKOX is a mess, too...but as far as they're concerned,
>dumping WKOX for WWZN is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.
>
>EVERYone I've talked to...commercial and non-commercial alike..thinks
>leaving sports on WWZN is a waste of money and that neither ESPN nor Fox
>Sports will ever even appear on 1510...much less succeed.  It's very
>logical - WEEI has a stranglehold on sports in this area because they're
>local, they're an institution and generally speaking, the product they put
>out is pretty good.
>
>My own question - would WEEI getting the Celtics conflict with their
>carrying the Boston College football games?  I wouldn't think so...but I
>know nothing about basketball schedules, either.

If the Celtics were to go back to WEEI, Boston College football is only at
the most 12 games a year and usually on saturday afternoons and the Celtics
regular season doesn't start until approximately the week of Halloween which
is past the halfway point of the football season, so that wouldn't be a
problem.  What would be a problem would possibly be the BC basketball games
and Ted Sarandis at night.  Sarandis for the most part gets pre-empted
during the summer because of the Red Sox and even though Ted calls the BC
basketball games, that wouldn't leave much time for " Ted Nation ".  I still
contend that it's a shame that ESPN doesn't have a full time station
somewhere here in Metro Boston.  Their shows are entertaining without
talking down to the fans and I think they'd do well here anyway.