Some good high school/prep school stations ! (RE: WKBR and seguay to "WPAA-style Radio")

    With all due respect for Paul Hopfgarten, there
ARE some very good high school and prep school
stations that do serve their communities very well.

    For example, WRPS/88.3 in Rockland, MA.  Owned by
the Town of Rockland but operated by high school
students and volunteer members of the community.  They
are 24/7 and they have a very good automated Hot AC
format during the time the station is not live. Come
January, 2004, this station will be celebrating its'
30th birthday!  They've come a long since 1974 going
from 10 watts/mono at 91.5 to 100 watts/Stereo at
88.3.  I was a listener since day one, literally!

     WHHB/99.9 (Holliston, MA), another fine local
high school station.  Sure, it's only 10 watts, but
what a signal! The jocks are good, the music excellent
and they sound clean in properly processed Stereo!  I
would love to see them 24/7.  A computer and remote
control will do it!  Originally on 91.5, this station
was "bumped" several years ago to 99.9.  Smart move!
In spite of the frequent trops from WQRC, this station
really covers their community (and then some) like a
glove.  I wish them all the best.

     WAVM/91.7, another fine locally operated high
school station located in Maynard, soon to be a Class
A (100 watt) station with programming from the
students every school day and church services on
Sunday.  In spite of a threat from UMass (WUMB) to
step on their application for higher power, they
prevailed and came to an agreement with WUMB to
simulcast during the hours that they WAVM would
normally not operate.  A major catastrophy averted.
WAVM will be celebrating their 30th birthday in 2004
as well.

     So, Paul...., with all due respect, I DO know
that some high school and prep school stations leave a
lot to be desired.  BUT, there ARE some very good
operations out there that need to be recognized for
their quality service to their repective communities
and their being the training ground for the next
generation of radio and TV employees.  Not all
stations are like the WPAA's of the world. I think
you'll find that most other HS/prep school stations
are better than the likes of WPAA.  73!

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts

--- Aaron Read <aread@speakeasy.net> wrote:
> At 10:33 AM 7/26/2003, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:
> >I've also noticed...though the DO still use the
> NewsTalk 1250 moniker (at
> >least they were this past week during the Sean
> Hannity show)
> >
> >OAN: WSPS (90.5 FM -Concord NH - St Pauls School)
> which was Con-cord's (said
> >the NON New England way) home for Hip-Hop and R&B
> is apparently so ONLY
> >during the school year! Since the end of June, they
> have been doing the same
> >thing WPAA Andover MA - Phillips Andover does,
> sending out a "blank" signal,
> >but not "turning off" the transmitter. I'd be
> willing to bet that the Exeter
> >NH 90.5 signal (Forget calls) for Philips Exeter is
> doing the same thing.
> >
> >Why HS/Prep Schools should NOT have radio signals?
> >
> >Paul Hopfgarten
> >East Derry NH 03041
> >paul@03038.com
>

> Ehh...it's hit or miss.  Some high schools do a
> really good job.  WHHB in
> Holliston isn't so bad, for example.
>
> BTW - Phillips Exeter is WPEA 90.5FM

> Aaron "Bishop" Read             aread@speakeasy.net
> FriedBagels Consulting          AOL-IM: readaaron
> http://www.friedbagels.com      Boston, MA

=====
Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts