Re: Leykis & Serious debate lost in Bryant free-for-all

> Someone please explain to me why the media shields the identity of the
> alleged victim of a sexual assault, yet allows the name, photo, and life
> history of the alleged perp to be displayed for all to see?

While we DO have lawyers on the list...Here's my take:

When someone is arrested it is a matter of public record.  You cannot arrest
someone and 'hide the fact'.

The victims name does not have to released until court time...or until a
complaint is needed to be signed, etc.  However, we DO shield "victims" from
being "victimized" again.  After all, she did nothing wrong, and the police
are not charging her with anything.

The courts have in the past, shielded gang-related witnesses and other
complainants, so that they don't have to be a victimized  again, by the
press...or the gang...or the perpetrator.

> What ever
> happened to "presumed innocent until proven guiilty"?

That's in a court of law...not public opinion.

> If you're gonna
> protect the identity of one of the parties, why not both?

We are not a country where we arrest people and then hide it.

> One of the bigger such circuses was maybe 10 years ago when one of the
> Kennedys was on trial in Florida.  The trial was televised, but the
alleged
> victim's face was digitally blocked out of the tv image.  As I recall, he
> was acquitted.

I agree that someone who acuses someone else should be willing to stand up
in public and say so.

However, rape victims, rape counselors, advocates and lawyers have
sucessfully convinced the powers that be of the very different nature of
this crime.  And you must admit that this kind of case is much different
than someone being taken to court for zoning violations...or a dispute
between neighbors over a tree limb.

While her "issues" will no doubt be introduced in court...this should be
warning shot to a lot of men.  There are a lot of ministers, pastors,
counselors, medical professionals, etc....who have now started using
proctors and other precautions.  Never close a door, etc.

Most lawyers know that when negotiating, never give anyone else the
opportunity to have the 'upper-hand'.

I think most men should take note of this.  Be careful, be wise...and if you
don't know someone well, if you don't know their character or frame of mind,
soundness of mind...don't take them to bed in a locked hotel room.
(I would imagine he just met this women at the hotel.)

Just my thoughts....whatever they are worth.  $0.00?

JP