Re: RIAA Strikes B.U. & M.I.T.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: RIAA Strikes B.U. & M.I.T.

> BUT - RIAA need only to modify their subpoenas to account for the time
> period and the colleges will likely be forced to do it.  It might take a
> lawsuit but they'll lose eventually.

That makes sense.

Why don't the schools adopt policies that place limits on the amount of
material that can be uploaded or downloaded?  It seems like it would be
pretty easy to install software to do that and to adopt policies to allow
the software to be turned off when necessary.  The level can be set high
enough not to effect most users but would still effect those that are doing
any serious amount of file swapping.  It seems to me that institutions that
are in the business of selling intellectual property would take this
situation more seriously.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine