Re: RIAA Strikes B.U. & M.I.T.

At 03:42 PM 7/22/2003, Dan Billings wrote:
> > All Access is reporting Boston University and M.I.T.
> > have moved to quash RIAA subpoenas demanding the name
> > of students it says are swapping music files
> > illegally. The schools are citing privacy concerns.
>
>Interesting legal theory.  If the student privacy laws are actually so broad
>as to protect illegal activity, the laws need to be changed.  A case could
>be made that BU & MIT is liable for allowing their systems to be used in
>this way or particularly for not taking steps to stop it when made aware of
>the problem.
>
>-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

It's actually BC, not BU...or at least, not just BU.  It's in today's
Globe, too.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/203/nation/BC_MIT_decline_to_name_students_in_music_use_case+.shtml

The legal theory is entirely sound.  The problem is that RIAA is demanding
that these schools turn over personal identifying information, according to
the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FER&PA) colleges are required to
notify the students before releasing personal information.   RIAA's
subpoena does not allow for that time, so the colleges are deeming the
subpoenas invalid.  They will probably win.

BUT - RIAA need only to modify their subpoenas to account for the time
period and the colleges will likely be forced to do it.  It might take a
lawsuit but they'll lose eventually.   The big question is whether FER&PA
not only requires notification but also requires the students' permission
before personal info can be released.

And, by the way, the privacy laws...among other laws...ARE so broad so as
to effectively protect illegal activities.  Just look at the mess Kristin
Rozloski (sp?) had to go through with her rape case at BU.   The legal
rights we take for granted frequently don't exist on a college campus, this
is both a good and a bad thing.  There are strong arguments going both ways.