Re: RIAA Strikes B.U. & M.I.T.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roy Lawrence" <lawrencemedia@yahoo.com>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 3:05 PM
Subject: RIAA Strikes B.U. & M.I.T.

> All Access is reporting Boston University and M.I.T.
> have moved to quash RIAA subpoenas demanding the name
> of students it says are swapping music files
> illegally. The schools are citing privacy concerns.

Interesting legal theory.  If the student privacy laws are actually so broad
as to protect illegal activity, the laws need to be changed.  A case could
be made that BU & MIT is liable for allowing their systems to be used in
this way or particularly for not taking steps to stop it when made aware of
the problem.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine