Re: WWZN

At 08:19 PM 7/21/2003, Scott Fybush wrote:
>I don't know why I never thought of this before (perhaps Dan S. will tell
>me why :-)...
>
>Could 1510 be the solution to Clear Channel's 1200 woes?
>
>$11 million for 1510, less whatever 1200's current facility could be sold
>for ($5-6 million to the right buyer?) is a pittance compared
>with the long-term cost of pursuing the Battle of Oak Hill. I still don't
>believe Clear Channel's engineering brass really understand
>what a political hot potato the Oak Hill project might be.

Based on what I saw at the hearing, I don't think they care.  Why should
they?  They're a MULTI-BILLION dollar national (soon to be international)
company, and the opposition is a small group of middle-class homeowners
with mediocre political connections at best.   Who, I might add, seem
largely composed of whiny NIMBYers that conveniently forget that they
*chose* to move in next to a high power AM station; 1600AM has been there
longer than any of them.

The moment this gets beyond the local arena, which it will if Newton denies
the permit, thanks to the Vinikoor case  the Oak Hill residents are gonna
find themselves S.O.L.   It might take a long time, but they're gonna
lose.  So what if it costs $3 million in legal fees - Clear Channel still
comes out ahead.

The only way I can see your idea working is if someone actively wants to
buy 1200 from Clear Channel and is willing to pay enough money to make the
WWZN purchase "cheap" to CC.

Still, I know a few local CC engineers...I'll drop a bug in their ears
about it, one never knows...