RE: Channel 6 audio protection

Matt wrote:
I have a personal experience with this.  At
Herkimer County Community College (Herkimer, NY, my
alma mater) when they put WVHC (91.5 FM) on the air in
the early 1990s, they were forced to vertically
polarize its signal to protect WRGB's audio.

almost the same at WNMH (91.5) Northfield, MA, my high school station. As a
student staffer there in the late 80s I remember going through some
engineering paperwork one day (great way to put off doing homework) and
seeing that WRGB (Ch 6, Schenectady) factored into WNMH's engineering
parameters. There was even a contour map showing WRGB putting a 'B' grade
signal into Northfield, approximately 80 miles (and many mountains) due E
of WRGB's approximate TX location. (I didn't buy it. We borrowed a TV from
a day student, smuggled it into the dorm...and got a good signal from
WCDC-19 (Adams, MA) and WFSB-3 (Hartford). Nothing from WRGB.)
Nevertheless, WNMH was also required to prove that it was not interfering
with WRGB audio. Fortunately, WNMH did not have to vertically polarize. As
for interference, WNMH did cause some to WRPI (91.5 Troy, NY)...sometimes
we'd shutdown WNMH, and with a good radio get a listenable signal in
Northfield from WRPI.

Sid Whitaker
Portland, ME

http://mail2web.com/ .