Re: Stereo for voice (was RE: Dr. Laura anywhere in New England?)

At 03:43 PM 7/15/2003, Dan Billings wrote:
>Shows with good production values like Limbaugh sound much better in stereo.

I agree, and there are many times when listening to actual NPR (as opposed
to locally-originated WBUR) shows that have stereo music playing and I wish
WBUR was in stereo.

I do remember there was a lot of "stereo hiss" audible on the monitors in
the studios when we switched 90.9 to stereo for Weekend Edition/Sunday
that's not there when the station is in mono.  And with their comparatively
weaker signal downtown in multipath hell, I can see why they stay in mono.

I think it's also partly b/c they don't want to give the Cape listeners
(WBUR-AM) the impression that they're "sub standard" listeners because they
can't get stereo and the FM listeners in the city could.  Yes, yes, they
could put a stereo generator on the AM but why bother?  90% of their
listeners aren't going to be able to get it and wouldn't know how to get it
even if you told them they could.

Speaking of which, anyone thinking they'll try and buy one of Ernie Boch's
stations?  Not knowing anything about Boch Broadcasting, my gut instinct is
that they're not going to be sold anytime soon...but I know little of the
situation.